Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Trips with Kris // Haiti


My week of wearing baggy scrub pants, granny panties, pretending to be a doctor, taking freezing cold showers, eating rice, beans, and chicken has come and gone. I'm saying bye to Haiti with a heavy heart. This place never fails to amaze me and touch my heart in ways I didn't know were possible. In this post I'm going to be sharing a recap/summary of my week in Haiti.

Day 1//



Our first two days were full of traveling. We flew from Nashville to Miami, Miami to Port á Prince, then took small planes to Jerémie, Haiti. We settled into our 'home' for the next few days and headed to the orphanage. After a long year, I got to see all my little buddies again. We hugged, took pictures on my selfie stick (it was a hit), and sang "Let It Go" (even Haitian kids know it).

Day 2//



Saturday was our first day of clinic. Sadly, I didn't take many pictures but how beautiful is little girl!! I was in a room with a pediatrician this day. We did check ups for 176 orphans plus their 'mamas'. Busy day I must say. The kids are much healthier now. We did have a boy with a broken arm and a boy with a broken rib from playing soccer (boys will be boys). 

Day 3//




We got to walk down the street from where we were staying to these sweet ladies houses. 
This lady (how awesome is her hair) was the most joyful person I've ever met. She's 90 years old and lives on her own! We gave her meds, glasses, and it prayed over her. As you can tell from the photo, she was extatic! 


This lady is 105!! She is rare and beautiful. It's was so cool being in the presence of her. Living to be 105 is just incredible, especially in Haiti. 

Day 4//




Monday we started clinic back up. We opened up a community clinic for Jeremie and its surroundings. I got to be in a room with another pediatrician. We saw precious little babies and adorable families. We almost had to give birth right there in my room but...the lady was not dilated enough. 

- The beautiful baby doll in the 1st picture is 14 months old and only weighs 15 lbs. Her mom passed away 7 months prior due to unknown causes. We had to do an HIV test on the sweet girl and thank God it was negative. Me and my sister huged and huged on her. 

Day 5//



(He's rocking birks) 



We did our first travel clinic on Tuesday to Bon Bon and ran into an interesting obstical. It had rained Monday night and a road we had to cross to get to the clinic site was covered by a river...literally a river. We decided to turn around due to our safety and we found another church to set up in. No one knew we were located there but the word spread so quickly. We ended up seeing 300+ people that day. That goes to show, you can have plans in your mind but God is ultimately in control. I got to work with adults this day and cleaned a nice motorcycle wound.

Day 6//





We did one last travel clinic to the city of Gonaves. Once again I got to work with adults. After we were done with the clinic the teens walked across the street to a beautiful beach and played with some silly kids. The kids in Haiti are no different than the kids here in America. They play, kick soccer balls, make silly faces ect. 



That night we got to take a special trip back to the orphanage; we brought along a projector and had a movie night! I've never done this before so it was new to me and awesome! Even though the movie was in English the kids loved it. Sadly, we had to say our good byes (actually see you next year). Every year I cry like a baby ha!

Day 7//






Thursday was our last day in Haiti but we got to spend it in a special place. New Life Children's home in Port á Prince is a home for special needs and sick kids. In Haiti, when I child is born and doesn't look or act 'right'....they are abandoned by their parents. Luckily, this sweet lady finds them and takes care of them. It is the most colorful little compound I've ever been too. I can't wait to go back and visit New Life again! 

{This is my first week back to reality and oh what I would give to be back on a plane to Haiti! Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoyed my pictures and short descriptions of my week. It was truly magical and such a blessing.} 

















No comments:

Post a Comment